Anecdotal self reflections on my internship learning with some video  evidence of procedures performed 

 

 Anecdotal self reflections on my internship learning with some video evidence of procedures performed 


Hello everyone!
I am Cherukupalli Lasyapriya of 2018 batch and I am posted in the department of General Medicine from 1st November 2023 to 31st December 2023.

My posting has been divided in the following manner - 

1. 1st November 2023 to 30th November 2023 - Unit posting
2. 1st December 2023 to 15th December 2023 - Psychiatry 
3. 16th December 2023 to 31st December 2023 - Peripherals


During my time in units, I gained practical experience by examining and documenting various cases. This hands-on approach improved my clinical and diagnostic abilities, allowing me to actively contribute to patient care.

The following are the cases I documented:





I learned essential skills such as connecting cannulas for administering medications and fluids, as well as drawing arterial blood gas (ABG) and blood samples for laboratory analysis.

I also placed Foley,s catheter for multiple patients and learnt the placement of Ryle,s tube.

One noteworthy experience was performing an ascitic tap and collecting the ascitic fluid for laboratory analysis.


I have also learnt the basics of Abdominal USG along with understanding the radiological understanding of anatomy.


Other than the above my duties also involved sending investigations for the patients, typing the discharge summaries and learning to handle the administrative work

My time in peripherals has been divided into ICU, Nephrology and Ward duties

ICU Duty -

During my time in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), I learned essential skills for handling critical medical situations.
I became proficient in monitoring patients' vital signs. I learnt how to acutely manage seizures, understood basic ventilator settings and provided ventilation to patients manually with an Ambu bag.
I also gained hands-on experience in placing Ryles tubes and Foley's catheters.

Learning to perform CPR was a crucial aspect of my training, emphasizing the importance of quick and composed responses in emergencies.

Additionally, I acquired the skills to take arterial blood gas (ABG) samples and interpret the results, providing valuable insights into a patient's respiratory and metabolic status.

Nephrology Duty -

During my time in Nephrology regularly monitoring patients' vital signs became a part of my routine.

I gained a thorough understanding of the dialysis process, a crucial aspect of renal care.

Actively assisting in placing central lines was part of my hands-on experience in managing kidney-related issues.

I also developed proficiency in performing CPR.

Other than the hands on experience my duties also involved sending investigations for the patients, and typing the discharge summaries.

Ward Duty - 

During my posting in the medicine ward, I took on various responsibilities related to patient care.

Regularly monitoring vital signs allowed me to closely track patients' health, enabling timely interventions when necessary.

I took an active role in sending investigations, ensuring that diagnostic tests were promptly conducted to aid in accurate diagnoses.

Additionally, I gained proficiency in placing cannulas and administering Insulin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experiences with general cellular and neural cellular pathology in a case based blended learning ecosystem's CBBLE

A 77 year old male with Splenomegaly

A 60F with Megaloblastic Anemia